Tag Archives: Welsh Marches

Crickhowell

CRICKHOWELL Marcher lordship in southeast Wales, one of the last to be created. In 1463 King Edward IV gave it to his Welsh ally, William Herbert, later Earl of Pembroke. The lordship lay at the southern end of the lordship … Continue reading

Posted in England, Wales | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Clun

CLUN Welsh Marcher lordship, crossed by the River Clun, a tributary of the Teme. The castle of Clun was southeast of Montgomery, northwest of Wigmore and NNW of Ludlow. The lordship was first held, in the Conqueror’s reign, by the … Continue reading

Posted in England, Wales | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Cemais

CEMAIS   Or, Cemaes. Cantref in southwest Wales Later a Marcher lordship. Cemais extended from the shores of the Bay of Cardigan to the Preseli Mountains in the south, and lay between the lands of the Bishop of St David’s and … Continue reading

Posted in Wales | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Carmarthenshire

CARMARTHENSHIRE    SIR GAERFYRDDIN. County of southern Wales before 1975. A unitary authority (and county) since 1996. From about the year 1110, there was a Norman and  royal castle at Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin), which stands on the lower Tywi (Towy).  Although it … Continue reading

Posted in England, Wales | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Cantref Gwarthaf

CANTREF GWARTHAF District in southwest Wales, the eastern cantref in the old Welsh Kingdom and region of Dyfed.   It lay to the west of the estuary of the Tywi (Towy) and fell in the 12th century to the Normans, becoming … Continue reading

Posted in Wales | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Caerleon

CAERLEON Lordship in the Welsh Marches, now in southeastern Wales.   The town of Caerleon stands on the River Usk, some miles above Newport, and was once a Roman fort (its name means fortress of the legion). The Lordship was established … Continue reading

Posted in England, Wales | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment