Tag Archives: Margrave

Cham

CHAM   Margraviate in the Holy Roman Empire, in Bavaria. The town, which is now the administrative centre of the Bavarian Landkreis of Cham, is northeast of Regensburg and stands just below the confluence of the River Cham with the Regen, … Continue reading

Posted in Germany | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Burgau

BURGAU Margraviate in southern Germany;  named after a town on the River Mindel, a tributary of the Danube, southeast of Gunzburg, east of Ulm, and WNW of Augsburg. The lordship of Burgau, in eastern Swabia, was held by a branch … Continue reading

Posted in Austria, Germany | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Bergen-op-Zoom

BERGEN-OP-ZOOM Lordship in Brabant, taking its name from the town on both banks of the River Zoom near its confluence with the Scheldt estuary.   Later diking has separated the town (now in the southwest Netherlands) from the Ooster-schelde. The lordship … Continue reading

Posted in Netherlands, Spain | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Baden-Sponheim

BADEN-SPONHEIM In the partition of Baden in 1515 among the three sons of the abdicated Margrave Christopher, Philip, the second son, took the northern lands around Pforzheim and Durlach and also the rights held by Baden in the County of … Continue reading

Posted in Germany | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Baden-Durlach

BADEN-DURLACH Durlach is now an eastern suburb of Karlsruhe, the German city on the Rhine near the point of the V, which is made by the German-French border. Durlach became part of Baden in 1211.   In the partition of the … Continue reading

Posted in Germany | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Ansbach

ANSBACH   or Brandenburg-Ansbach. Imperial Principality in southeastern Germany, named after its capital, which stands on the River Rezat, a tributary of the Rednitz and eventually of the Main.   The town, which is WSW of Nuremberg, is now a Stadtkreis in the … Continue reading

Posted in France, Germany | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Anhalt-Plötzkau

ANHALT-PLÖTZKAU Plötzkau, now a small town to the southwest of Bernburg, was capital of an old county in the marcher region on the edge of the Duchy of Saxony.   Its Counts in the 12th century claimed to be Margraves of … Continue reading

Posted in Germany | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment