Tag Archives: Altmark

Brandenburg ~ Electorate

BRANDENBURG ~ Electorate. Named after the (episcopal) town on the River Havel, west of Berlin.   As Branibor, it was the capital of a Slav principality, whose last Prince bequeathed it to Albert the Bear, the Margrave of the Nordmark, on his … Continue reading

Posted in Germany, Poland | Tagged , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Altmark

ALTMARK The old March, in northeastern Germany, later forming the western part of the Electorate of Brandenburg.   It lay almost completely west of the Elbe and north of the Archbishopric of Magdeburg, itself also part of Brandenburg from 1680. The … Continue reading

Posted in Germany | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment