The Département de la Creuse (23) is in the northwest of the Massif Central in south central France. The River Creuse, a tributary of the Vienne, flows NNW through the department.
The Creuse was in unoccupied France, 1940-2. In 1941 the Vichy government placed it under the authority of the Regional Prefect at Limoges for police and economic matters,
Since 1960 it has been in the northeast of the Limousin region.
The capital is Guéret. The sub-prefecture for the other arrondissement is Aubusson (in the southeast). Bourganeuf (southwest) and Boussac (northeast) were also sub-prefectures, 1800-1926.
In 1790 Guéret, never before an episcopal see, became the diocese that covered the new department, but in 1802 its territory was added to the diocese of Limoges.