CRES CHERSO (It).
Island in the Gulf of Quarnero (Kvanerić), east of Istria. It belonged to medieval Croatia (and so to Hungary after 1102). For a couple of decades in the 14th century it was under Venetian suzerainty, but had returned to Hungary by 1358. In 1409 it returned once more to Venetian control.
It became Austrian when the Venetian Republic was destroyed in 1797, was ceded to Napoleon’s Kingdom of Italy in 1805 and transferred to the Illyrian Provinces of the French Empire in 1809.
In 1814 the island reverted to Austria, became Italian after the First World War and Yugoslav after the Second.
It is now in Croatia.