CÔTES-D’ARMOR The Département des Côtes-d’Armor (22) is in northwestern France and was called CÔTES-DU-NORD until 1991.
It was formed from northern Brittany in 1790. Armor is an old Celtic name for the coastlands of Brittany and Normandy, and Armorica was the Roman name for Brittany. The former name, meaning “Northern coasts”, is vague: the department could have been anywhere on the Channel coast.
The Côtes-du-Nord was in occupied France, 1940-4. In 1942 the Vichy government placed it under the authority of the Regional Prefect at Rennes for police and economic matters.
The department is today in the Bretagne administrative region.
The capital is St Brieuc, which is also the bishopric.. The sub-prefectures for the other arrondissements are Dinan (in the east), Guincamp (west-central) and Lannion (northwest). Loudéac, in the south, was a sub-prefecture, 1800-1926.