CÔTE-D’OR The Département de la Côte-d’Or (21) is in east central France.
It was formed in 1790 from the northern part of Burgundy, and named after a range of hills. It is one of the principal wine districts of France.
The department was in occupied France, 1940-4. In 1941 the Vichy government placed it and four other departments under the authority of the Regional Prefect at Dijon, its capital, for police and economic matters.
It has been in the Bourgogne region since 1960.
The capital is Dijon. The sub-prefectures for the other arrondissements are or have been Beaune (in the south) and Montbard (northwest). The latter lay between Châtillon-sur-Seine (further north) and Semur-en-Auxois, and became a sub-prefecture when they were abolished in 1926.
The Bishopric is at Dijon, which first became a see in 1731 when the diocese of Langres was divided.