COSEL Or, Kosel. Former Silesian Duchy, named after a town, now KOZLE, part of Kiedzierzyn-Kozle, which is in southern Poland on the River Odra (Oder) above Opole.
After the partition of Upper Silesia in 1281 Cosel was held as a Duchy, together with Beuthen, which lay to the east. In 1355 it passed to the Duchy of Oels and in 1472 to Münsterberg.
In 1475 it was occupied by Hungary until it reverted to the Dukes of Oppeln in 1490. It was acquired by the Habsburgs in 1532, by Prussia in 1740 and by Poland in 1945.