Short-lived county in the north of Ireland.
When the province of Ulster was shired in 1585, the county of Coleraine was formed mostly between the Rivers Foyle, in the west, and Bann, in the east, though the town of Coleraine itself is east of the Bann.
English government control over Ulster in 1585 was distinctly limited. The flight of the Earls in 1607 allowed the King to confiscate much of the land west of the Bann and in 1609 Coleraine was enlarged when the London Livery companies agreed to plant the county.
The city of Derry was among the additions and the county was renamed LONDONDERRY after the city and the London companies.