Marcher lordship in northeastern Wales.
Chirk Castle stands above the River Ceiriog, a tributary of the Dee. Chirk is an anglicised form of the name of the river, which acts as the border between England and Wales.
In the 13th century Chirk lay just within the Principality of North Powys (Powys Fadog). After the destruction of Gwynedd in 1282-3, North Powys, which had been allied with its Prince, was broken up into Marcher Lordships.
Chirk was the southernmost of them and was held by a junior branch of the Mortimers, but passed in 1322 to the Fitzalans, who were lords of nearby Oswestry and also Earls of Arundel. It came into the King’s hands in the 15th century.
The home of Owain Glyn Dŵr at Sycarth was in the south of the lordship. Today it is just a mound.
In 1536 the lordship of Chirk became the south of Denbighshire.