Town in northwestern Tuscany in north central Italy, near the Alpi Apuana, an outlier of the Apennines. It lies east of La Spezia and NNW of Pisa, and is famous for its marble. It was acquired in 1467 by the ruler of nearby MASSA, with which it is still linked in the province of Massa e Carrara.
[The Carrarese, rulers of Padua in the 14th century, have nothing to do with this Carrara. They came from a village of the same name near Padua].