CARINTHIAN MARK KÄRNTNER MARK. Also called the CARANTANIAN MARK.
District in the east of the Duchy of Carinthia in the 10th and 11th centuries, protecting its eastern flank.
Adalbero of Eppenstein, who held the Mark in 1011, was promoted to the Duchy in that year. When he was dismissed in 1035, he also lost the Mark. Later in the century the Carinthian Mark came into the hands of the family who held the town of Steyr (which is now in Oberösterreich) and it became known as Steiermark or STYRIA instead. Styria itself became a Duchy in 1180. The lands of the original Carinthian Mark are now divided betweeen Austria and Slovenia.