Town in western Wales on the Bay named after it and at the mouth of the River Teifi (hence its modern Welsh name, ABERTEIFI). Originally it was called Din Geraint and belonged to the Welsh Kingdom of Ceredigion.
It fell early to the Normans: the first castle was built in 1093-4. In 1109 Gilbert de Clare was given licence to conquer Ceredigion, which he did. In the 1130s the revived Kingdom of Deheubarth pushed the Normans out of most of Ceredigion and in 1164 Cardigan itself fell, but the town was recovered in 1199 and became royal territory.
After the conquest of Wales in 1282-3, Cardigan was joined with Ceredigion to form the county of Cardiganshire.