The Département du Cantal (15) is in south central France.
It takes its name from a mountain range, whose highest point is the Plomb de Cantal, in the west of the Massif Central. It was formed in 1790 from the Duchy of Auvergne.
In the Second World War it was in unoccupied France until November 1942. In 1941 the Vichy government placed it under the direction of the Regional Prefect at Clermont Ferrand for police and economic matters.
Since 1960 the département has belonged to the Auvergne administrative region.
Its capital is Aurillac. The sub-prefectures for the other arrondissements are Mauriac (in the northwest) and St Flour (in the southeast). St Flour, originally founded in 1317, is the diocese for the département. Murat, in the east, was also a sub-prefecture, 1800-1926.