BRECONSHIRE Brecknockshire; Sir Frycheiniog.
Welsh county formed in 1536 from the Marcher lordships of Builth in the north, Hay in the east, Blaenllyfni in the southeast, and Brecon. On its abolition in 1975, most of the county became the district of Brecknock (abolished 1996) in the new county of Powys, whilst the southernmost districts were transferred to Mid-Glamorgan and Gwent.
So far as a couple of parishes were concerned there had long been a partial anticipation of the transfer. Ystradfellte Upper and Lower were separated from most of Breconshire by the Brecon Beacons and at district level were administered by Neath Rural District Council from its formation in 1894. The parishes had previously belonged to the same rural sanitary district as the lands that became the Neath R.D.
Breconshire was in the diocese of St David’s until the creation of the diocese of Swansea & Brecon in 1923, a few years after the disestablishment of the Church in Wales.