German name for the city and Duchy of BRUNSWICK.
The former Duchy became the Land of Braunschweig in 1918, a small detached part of which was included in the Soviet Zone in 1945. The rest formed a Regierungsbezirk (administrative region) in the new Land of Niedersachsen in 1946.
In 1978 the old historical boundaries were abandoned, and a new Regierungsbezirk of Braunschweig was created, consisting of southeastern Niedersachsen. It includes the districts around Göttingen, Duderstadt and Northeim, previously in the region of Hildesheim.