Administrative district (distrito) in northern Portugal, north of Oporto, named after its capital, which stands on the River Este. It was formed in 1833 out of the old province of Entre Minho e Douro.
In Roman times the city had been the site of the legionary fortress of Bracara Augusta and it served as the capital of the Suevic Kingdom in northwestern Iberia in the 5th century. It was capital of the County of Portugal, bestowed on Henry of Burgundy c.1093, and, briefly, (1139-47) of the Kingdom. It is still the seat of an Archbishop, who bears the title of Primate of Portugal.