City on the left bank of the Rhine, south of Coblenz.
Once a royal residence, it became a Free City under the Hohenstaufen, whose last Emperor, Frederick II, Boppard repaid by steadfastly defying the anti-King, William of Holland, when he advanced into the middle Rhineland in 1249.
It ceased to be an Imperial Free City in 1312 when the Emperor Henry VII gave it to his brother Baldwin, the Archbishop of Trier. It remained in the Electorate of Trier until it was first occupied, then annexed, by revolutionary France in the 1790s. It became Prussian in 1815. It is now in the Rhein-Hunsrück-Kreis in the Land of Rheinland-Pfalz.