City in northern France, north of Paris, east of Rouen, and south of Amiens; the seat of a Bishop, who was one of the six ecclesiastical Peers of France. He held the County of Beauvaisis from the early 11th century (though eastern Beauvaisis formed the separate County of Clermont). The Kings gradually took over the comital powers from the Bishop.
Beauvais was part of Lancastrian France after the victories of Henry V and the Treaty of Troyes, and it was Cauchon, the Bishop of Beauvais, who presided at the trial of Joan of Arc. Charles the Rash, Duke of Burgundy 1467-77, tried to add Beauvais to his lands in Picardy, but was successfully resisted by the city.
The Beauvaisis became the northwest of the gouvernement of the Île de France; in civil administration, western Beauvaisis belonged to the généralité of Paris, while the old County of Clermont-en-Beauvaisis was in that of Amiens (the généralité for western Picardy). Today Beauvais is the capital of the Department of the Oise, and is also the diocese of the Bishop.