Town in eastern Germany, south of Berlin, now in the Land of Brandenburg,. It was once part of Lower Lausitz and then of Electoral Saxony, where it lay on the borders with Brandenburg. Until 1635 it was separated from the Electoral lands by territory belonging to the Archbishopric of Magdeburg.
From 1596 a junior line of the Counts of Solms held it as property from the Elector. In 1815 Baruth was transferred to Prussia, and in 1888 the Count of Solms-Baruth became a Prussian Prince. The line still survives.