Alpine town on the River Udaye, a tributary of the Durance, in southeastern France.
The town was refounded in 1232 by Count Raymond Berenger IV of Provence (who belonged to the family of the Counts of Barcelona – hence the name). After a change of dynasty in Provence in 1382 the town and the surrounding valley of the Udaye, which was very fertile, acknowledged the authority of the Count of Savoy. In 1419 the change was recognised by Provence.
In 1713 town and valley were ceded to France and are now in the northeast of the Department of Alpes-de Haute-Provence; in the town are the offices of the sub-prefecture of the local arrondissement.