Scottish Lordship on the northern side of the Grampians, in the region of the upper Spey. It was held by the Comyns from 1229 until 1306, the year in which Robert the Bruce murdered the Red Comyn and in which he gave Badenoch to Thomas Randolph, Earl of Moray.
In 1377 Robert II gave it to his son Alexander Stewart, Earl of Buchan through the right of his wife, whom he so ill-treated that the Bishop of Moray excommunicated him in 1389. In response the Earl burned down the town of Forres and the cathedral at Elgin, and earned his nickname of the Wolf of Badenoch. In 1452, or earlier, the Lordship was bestowed on the Earl of Huntly.
Badenoch later became southeastern Inverness-shire.