BAÈKA Bácska (Magyar)
Serbo-Croat name (pronounced “Bachka”) of a district bounded by the Danube to the west and south and by the Tisza to the east; now mainly in northwestern Serbia, though the north is in Hungary.
It was in Ottoman Hungary until recovered by the Habsburgs in 1699. From then until 1920 the area formed the Hungarian county of Bács-Bodrog, except between 1849 and 1860, when the county was temporarily separated from Hungary and united with the Banat, which lay to the east, to form the Crownland of Voivodina.
The Treaty of Trianon gave most of Baèka (from not far north of the town of Subotica southwards) to Yugoslavia, and in 1929 it became part of the new Danube banovina. The remnant within Hungary continued as the county of Bács-Bodrog. In 1941 Hungarian revisionist hopes were fulfilled when the county was reunited, but at the end of the war Baèka returned to Yugoslavia, where it was included in the Vojvodina, an autonomous region in Serbia, which was abolished in 1990. The Hungarian remnant was joined with the south of the former county of Pest-Pilis-Solt-Kiskum, to form the county of Bács-Kiskum.