The Département de l’Aube (10) is in east central France, lying to the southeast of Paris. The Seine flows generally north-north-westwards across its centre, while the River Aube itself lies to the east, roughly parallel to the Seine, until it turns west to join it just beyond the border of the department.
The department was formed in 1790 out of the gouvernement of Champagne & Brie. Its lands had mostly belonged to the généralité of Châlons, but the southernmost area had belonged to that of Dijon.
During the Second World War the department lay in the occupied zone from 1940. In 1941 the Vichy government placed it under the Regional Prefect at Châlons-sur-Marne for police and economic matters.
Since 1960 the Aube has belonged to the region of Champagne-Ardenne.
The capital is Troyes, which is also the seat of the Bishop, whose diocese has historically belonged to the province of Sens. The sub-prefectures of the other arrondissements are Bar-sur-Aube (in the east) and Nogent-sur Seine (in the northwest). Arcis-sur-Aube (north) and Bar-sur-Seine (south) were also sub-prefectures until 1926.